Friday, February 20, 2009

So now we know...

Now we know why I look so much smaller than I did with Abbey. We're growing a smaller baby! We had an ultrasound at 37 weeks on Thursday and they determined that baby has a mild case of Intra-Uterine Growth Restriction (IUGR). This means that his head is on track and his limbs too, but his body is small for his gestational age. Nobody really knows why this happens, but it's often a placental issue.

The good news is that he scored perfectly on the rest of the ultrasound, including the amniotic fluid levels, his practice breathing motions, etc. So that's good. But the OB is a little concerned about the growth, especially given that Scott and I are tall people and have already shown that we don't make small babies naturally (ahem...Abbey!).

The plan is that we will go in to the doctor twice next week for repeat tests to be sure he is still doing well and see if he has grown any more. If he doesn't score perfectly on the tests, or if I have dilated just a tad more, we'll induce next week (likely Tuesday or Thursday). At the latest, we'll be inducing on March 5th, which is a day past 39 weeks. So he'll be here in less than 2 weeks for sure!

Please keep us all in your prayers that baby makes a safe and healthy appearance...and soon!

2 comments:

VUKENOYER'S said...

i'll be thinking of you - and hope for perfect tests the next 2 weeks. :) eat lots of milk shakes these next few weeks!!!

Heather said...

Hang in there mama!!! I am thinking about you guys and can't wait to meet the little one. Almost time. :o) Miss you!