Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Nut Allergic




Above are some pretty typical pics of Abbey and Curren. Namely, him happy alone and him irritated when she is up in his business. Ahh, but she loves him at least.

At Curren's one year well-check, the pediatrician said we could go ahead and try nut butters. With Abbey, we waited until after 2 years for some reason. I just had a funny "mother's intuition" thing going on. Well, that turned out to be wrong, b/c she tolerated all nuts just fine. With Curren, I figured that he would be fine since nobody in our family has a nut allergy. (And he is the second child, with whom you are always a little less cautious...) I guess my faulty mother's intuition was misplaced, b/c Curren was NOT fine with peanut butter. Within minutes of my giving it to him, his little face swelled up and his hands turned red and hivey. So, we rushed to the ER where they gave him some meds and declared that he is allergic to nuts.

We have an appointment with a pediatric allergist next month, but we all have to stay away from nuts until then. Case in point, I had some cashews today and washed my hands briefly before changing Curren's diaper, and he still broke out in a hive on his face where I must have touched him. Touchy, touchy. My poor baby. And poor Hendersons! We are missing our peanut butter dearly!

1 comment:

jcallaway said...

Oh Alicia... so sorry to hear that. Meg is allergic to only peanuts but she is highly allergic to them. I carry an EPI pen. If you ever have any questions let me know. They do get used to it but it does change your life!!!